Friday, November 21, 2008

Don’t sell that old coin collection.

During these hard economic times many people have been doing anything to make ends meet. There are more people selling than buying. The stores are filled with products and no shoppers. Visit the local mall and you will know what I am talking about.

There are not many serious coin collectors left today. Well at least not as many as I can remember. My own story is a great example of a part time collector. My father left me his coin collection when he passed. I really did not pay much attention to the coins until I needed money. I researched the coins and had a pretty good idea what they were worth. Then the moment of truth, I tried to sell them. I went to a local coin shop and presented my coins to the owner. He was interested, and gave me an offer, it was way too low. I walked away with my collection intact and put it back into storage. That was around 6 years ago.

Today when I check the value of my father’s old coin colletion, It is worth about 3 times more. The coin collection held its value better than my 401k and other market investments. Then I did some math. I took the total amount of money that I invested in the markets and hypothetically plugged the numbers into a coin collection. I would have actually made money with the coins.

Think twice before selling that coin collection and do the research. I am not a professional investor and I don’t really know what I am talking about. That was my disclaimer. I am just giving a personal account based on what happened to me.

WorldCoinData

No comments: